Vinod Khosla Outlines Carbon Reduction Strategy
OTHERS
0 0 0

Submitted by EFC Team on July 22nd, 2010

In a commentary in the Washington Post, Energy Future Coalition steering committee member and founder of Khosla Ventures Vinod Khosla outlines a strategy to reduce U.S. greenhouse gas emissions by 80 percent.  Khosla suggests that the United States government use technology-neutral incentives to encourage innovation in clean technologies.
Focusing on the big picture, Khosla advises that incentives target the electricity and transportation sectors, which would bring the U.S. 75 percent of the way to reaching its emissions goal.   Energy efficiency would reduce emissions by the remaining 25 percent.
Specifically, Khosla argues that instituting a low-carbon electricity standard, instead of a renewable electricity standard, would encourage the natural gas, nuclear, and coal sectors to develop new technologies to remain viable while reducing their carbon emissions.  “Opening the playing field like this would increase competition and drive down prices,” he writes.  Not only would these new technologies benefit the United States, but they could be exported to carbon intensive countries such as India and China to help reduce emissions worldwide.
To read the article, click here.
0

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BACK TO NEWS