Today, a broad coalition of 60 environmental and business organizations is announcing a new campaign – the Campaign for an Energy-Efficient America – calling on Congress to establish a national Energy Efficiency Resource Standard. The coalition includes non-profits: the Sierra Club, NRDC, the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy (ACEEE), the Energy Future Coalition, the Alliance to Save Energy, and business: Digital Energy Solutions Coalition, Dow, Sun Microsystems, Intel, the Building Owners and Managers Association, and the Real Estate Roundtable.
The Campaign is also releasing an ACEEE study from that shows that an EERS of the sort we are supporting will:
- Save consumers $168.6 billion on the energy bills
- Create 222,000 net permanent, high quality jobs in construction, manufacturing and other fields;
- Avoid 262 million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions – the equivalent of taking 48 million cars of the roads for one year;
- Avoid the need for 390 power plants.
The study also details consumer savings and jobs created in each state, including:
- Florida will create more than 19,500 new jobs and save $14 billion in energy costs.
- Illinois will create more than 6,500 new jobs and save $3.6 billion in energy costs.
- Indiana will create more than 5,000 new jobs and save $3.6 billion in energy costs.
- North Carolina will create nearly 6,500 new jobs and save $3 billion in energy costs.
- Tennessee will create more than 5,000 new jobs and save $3.5 billion on energy costs.
BACK TO NEWS